Sunday, February 12, 2006

Adulthood just a signature away

Well, our computer has just been put back together, a super powered trojan horse virus ate it up. anyway after much frustration and two weeks later, I've got news.

Adulthood will be a signature away on September 1st 2006.
But first let me explain, this story will come in two parts.

Part One - the golden handcuffs
Part Two - the following soap opera

Part one - I was offered a full time job at one of the schools where I work. I was stupefied. The whole deal, a thirteenth month bonus, 35 hours a week, retirement package, vacation time, personal days, etc etc. I would be considered their second full-time teacher / pedagogical planner.
This offer went around and around and around in my head for the afternoon, did i want to give up my free afternoons here and there? I kina liked teaching here and there. I was making enough money this way too so why would I change? Did I really want to work with a serious stress bunny? And no more two and a half month summer vacations.....
Then I talked to J.D., he put things into perspective. Yes, it would really be idiotic to turn this down. Especially in France where the kind of contract that they're offering me is the type people wait their whole lives for.
But what about my buisness? What about that doctorate I was planning on I don't know when? and and and and and......
and this would mean both J.D. and I would be appealing clients for a loan, meaning we could actually buy somewhere to live. Now that's adulthood if i've ever heard it.

so, at the moment i'm preparing myself mentally for next september 1st.

Part Two - the soap opera
list of charaters
Gretta - the English dept. head (my soon to be boss and stress bunny/American from Buffalo n.y.; smokes like a chimney; drives me batty)
Martine - the Langages dept. head (Gretta's boss and very nice / French)
The english dept teachers -
Hazel - an English woman of a certain age with certain opinions, been working in the dept for about eight years - smokes like a chimney; drives me fucking batty
Kate - an English woman also of a certain age, clever, vulgar, adorable and hillarious; working in the departement for about ten years; also smokes; drives me really fucking batty
Jane - an English woman of a certain age, really smart, sees things clearly and fairly, someone who i would like to grow up to be. Doesn't smoke; ahhhhhhhh
And the other 8 seasonal English teachers a fun, interesting group of anglophones; one under fourty, the others older.

Introductory Scene - (Me, gretta, hazel, kate and jane in the office)
Gretta comes in after one of her super-powered, long winded departement meetings (of which i will have the pleasure next year) and says that the Univ has created another full time job in the dept, and that it's been given to Leila.
Jane says right away "That's fabulous, congratulations!!!" and hugs me. (Turns out Gretta asked Jane if she wanted the job before me, she turned it down)

Silence from the other two. some mild clucking of surprise is made then we all leave to go teach.

After class, all of us back in the office, Hazel starts to let go; this is the worst management she's ever seen, absolutely dishonest, done behind their backs, how could she ever trust gretta again and on and on; and if her hours next year are reduced she's going to the "work courts".
True, Gretta made a decision that none of them would have wanted this job, which is why she came to me, which is why an announcement of a new job wasn't made.

Clearly this didn't appeal to them;
"It's not even that we would want the job" they say "but it would have been nice to have been asked"
and Hazel reassures me multiple times "this has nothing to do with you dear, nothing at all, it's management's mistake"
sure, not me. I kinda buy that. I waltz in, after they've been there for ten or so years, and five months later get a full time job. I would hate little, young, well-dressed, just arrived me.

Gretta apologizes profusely, and again; None of this satisfying the long-winded Hazel of course.

Days go by (I work elsewhere during this time) and i come back, tempers have intensified; hazel assures me that "e-mails have been flying around" etc etc. "I wrote a letter"etc etc.

so what i'm hearing is total delirium; the rest of the teachers have gone off the deep end and gone delusional; Kate will "never trust Gretta again, and yes she will hold a grudge"
And this is so unfortunate that all the shit has fallen on Gretta's head, all the bad will directed at her. so misplaced.

So I confirm with Martine that a meeting is necessary. We're having one next tuesday. hopefully this will clear the air. however i don't think they are going to want to hear what Martine and Gretta are going to say.

to resume : this is a private school: meaning - they aren't forced to give everyone a chance, they have a job, they give it to the person they want. as simple as that.

But I still have a job. HA! how's that for starting with a bang!


Well, hope you've appreciated this small vision of my good news and the implicated soap opera.

1 Comments:

At 5:56 AM, Blogger k said...

CONGRATULATIONS! and Fuck 'em! There is no job without politics my dear, but when it comes right down to it, the job went to the best candidate. They know it and the more noise they make the deeper they feel it.

Knock em dead! Congrats! Big hug! Many kisses! Send me pictures of this home you will now be buying.

p.s. make sure the sewer isn't located near any city work areas. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home