Wednesday, March 08, 2006

And the winner is........

Job update:

first let me just get the vocab out of the way:

ESIGELEC which is a very long acronym for "Ecole supérieur, something something something, d'engenerie" They are a private school (52% private as i learned in my interview)
Esigelec is the school who offered me a job first;
the school with the stress bunny as the departement head and the eleven anglophone collegues; the school where classes are small (no more than 12; i have an 'exceptional' class of 14; wow!; and the students are motivated; and as anyone who teaches can tell you, that makes our job 85 percent easier.
Students here are very smart (there is a super difficult entrance exam),
generally from well-to-do families (they pay around five and a half thousand euros a year which is astronomical for France; as an example i paid a total of 700 euros for two years of public university to get my masters),
the school has oodles of resources (makes my job easier still)
and the anglophones are quite the bunch (as sources of amusement and bemusement)

EXIA / CESI which are also acronyms for something something something
This school is also private,
classes here are also small,
the students are motivated (for their main courses, a bit less for english class, but a good part of them are in for the game),
students here are also quite smart,
there is no English dept per se, so i'm quite on my own (which is fine really)
and they offered me a job a month after ESIGELEC.

Which brings me to now....the word on the street is that EXIA has already hired teachers (not english) for next year, the budget has been exhausted.
However, i've told them that they've still got a year to offer me something.

So I will officially start work for ESIGELEC on Sept first of 2006. my contract is 'temporary' for one year - a trial period for both parties concearned- then magically turns into a clad iron forever if i want it contract on Sept 1st 2007.

So there you have it folks. real nine to five adulthood.

2 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger k said...

Congrats! I wish I was there to take you out for martinis! My friend Colleen starts a new job next Wednesday - makes me wish I had applied at WCC. Oh well - not in the cards right now. Keep me updated - I love hearing what's going on with you.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger leila said...

That's what i need! really i've been feeling almost ungrateful about this job. strange huh? i've since figured out that it's that passive agressive streak. anyway. i need someone to take me out for martinis!!!
i miss you puddin' pie!
and your job will come along when it and you are ready.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home