Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Has anyone seen spring?

Generally people use discussions about the weather to fill space in otherwise empty "i-really-don'thave-anything-else-to-say" conversations. But what happenned yesterday deserves telling.
Yesterday it was May 22nd; and if i remember correctly spring started officially in April. yes? okay i thought so.
Yesterday, on a spring day, it hailed. Hail i tell you. disgusting.
In addition to the hail i am still wearing my winter jacket and winter wardrobe. I purposely waited patiently and didn't open my summer wardrobe box in order to not jinx the spring from coming. This year, no can do. She just doesn't want to get here. Two months ago I bought two pairs of (rediculously expensive) cute summer shoes. (I have waited at least fifteen years to see shoes like this)
I have worn each pair only once. and i froze my feet. and the last couple of times the weather report has been mildly spring like - well, the weatherman lied.

I wait all year for the first 80 degree day. and cherries. the first cherries of spring. i buy a kilo, sit on a park bench and spit cherries pits while looking at the passers-by and the spring sky.
Not this year, the cherries are here but I'm still wearing my winter jacket to go to the market.

Phooey! this rotten rotten weather.

6 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger k said...

or you could be literally sweltering in the 90+ degree heat that has descended for Memorial Day weekend...humid, hot...I dare say, where did spring go - we leapfrogged from winter directly to the heat of summer - alas, I miss the spring too.

p.s. read the April(?) issue of Vanity Fair - it's the green issue with Julia and George and Al Gore on the front.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger leila said...

funnily enough we don't get vanity fair in fair france. :(
i'll try to look it up on the net though....

and um yep, it hailed again today. albeit for only fiften minutes but you know, any clouds that are hanging around to produce hail at the end of May are NOT okay by me. so i whipped out my leather boots and took advantage of them one last time before spring..... or summer whenever that the hell gets here.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger k said...

unfortunately, I think they are all gone here too - last month's issue. Otherwise, I'd send you one...

still sweltering today...put the air on last night for the dogs - I hate air conditioning - but stayed inside in it all day today - cleaning, organizing - alternated between being too cold and being glad I wasn't out in the heat. Had a gorgeous thunderstorm late afternoon though...

kisses, k.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger leila said...

yeah, it's another fifty degree day.
where the fuck is summer!

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Leila nice blog !

But isn't it a long time the last time you posted something ?

About the weather, you should have known (hey hey yous see now everyone can use perfectly the third form of conditional; teaching in EXIA hasn't been useless) weather in NORMANDY is well known to be bad all year long !

And i'm sure you did know before coming to our charming France's aera !

See ya later alligator!

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger leila said...

hiya florent!

thanks for checking it out!
and as for the lack of posts, no internet meant no blogging. i'm internet'ed again (thanks to my fabulous students) so blogging will follow.
thanks again for the help :)
L

 

Post a Comment

<< Home