Sunday, April 16, 2006

Going through remnants and reminders

One of the (buddhist) benefits of having to start a life from scratch in another country is that you learn to separate yourself from your worldly goods. I have slimmed and shaved my existance in the U.S. to nothing more than a few boxes (and the majority of these boxes is books).
So when i decided to come over here (at that time temporarily) in 1999 i really cut down on what i needed. anyway i'm getting off track; the moral of this story is that on this rather boring sunday night i was going through my desk. Leafing through some of the only old 'archeological' belongings i have. You know, the things when you touch them take you just a minute to zap back to the present. I have spent the last couple of hours reading my old travel journal and diary, and ruffling through my old phone book (who still actually has one of these?) and ripping out pages (of people i can't remember or that i know i'll never ever never see again-more buddhist purging per se) and seeing what i had stuffed in the end pockets. This is the little treasure that i found. I remember carefully putting it in my phone book and thinking 'this is something i need to keep'.

For those of you that knew me before 1999, maybe you remember me mentioning "the horoscope". In 1998, a year before i was to finish at NIU, i had heard about the "assistantship" in France. so i planned after i graduated to work and live the supremely bohemean artist life in France for eight months. A couple months before graduation i prepared the information sheets, application form, essay and lettre de motvation for an assistantship: somewhere, anywhere in France. Then i kissed it good luck and put it in the mail.
Here is where destiny decided to send me a monumentally huge sign in an itty bitty piece of newspaper. Only a few days after I had kissed it good luck (and weeks before i would recieve the confirmation letter) this was my horoscope.

Never in the history of horoscopes or planetal alignments has a horoscope been as acurate as a perfectly solved mathmatical equation.

I don't believe in coincidence.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Blogger k said...

I need to do another big purge/archeological dig...too much is piled up, too much is covered up, too much is unseen because there is too much.

I still read my horoscope everyday...online now...and I copy and paste it onto a "stickie-note" on my desktop so I can come back to it later - dateless and relive the advice. I cut the monthly ones out of my magazines and stick them in my journal...which I have sadly neglected now that I blog...which I have sadly neglected lately...missing you petite...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home