Sunday, July 02, 2006

is three a magic number?

Okay, so here's the situation (as i decide to take a break on this lovely sunday afteroon from doing the work i'm supposed to be doing)

I am going to meet up with a friend i haven't seen in about ten years.
First striking thing - that i can get to the point now where i can say it's been ten years that i haven't done something or seen someone. scary. makes me feel older than i am. in all of my 31ness.

so, she's coming to france and through mutual "oh-my-goodness-we-will-be-closer-than-5,000kms" feelings we are getting together. Well, her and I and her husband (how bad is it that i'm not really sure of his name, i think it's mark, yeah, i'll go with mark.


first of all Kate - love her dearly- how to explain Kate. Kate was my first friend that used fun words like "ghetto" as a silly strange general slang adjective for whatever that was, you know, ghetto. (funny sidenote - this word got me fired from a waitressing job :) but that's another blog)

Kate was a different slice of America, me midwestern girl (terrible dresser at that time) meets smart Northeastern D.C. girl. And good lord did we have a mutual reverence for Gin & Tonics at the time. One of my greatest exploits was her, me and a bottle of Gin. Months of training went into that night. I will never forget the feeling of wanting another gin and tonic then suddenly realizing the bottle was empty. Still had limes, still had icecubes. Unfathomable. simply unfathomable.

Anyway, the day after tomorrow i'm taking a train to hook up with my Kate. (and her husband)

Worries?
ehhh, just bitty ones.
Will we be overflowing with things to say or has it been so long nothing needs to be said? and if we don't really have much to say, how long will it be before we get bored of each other.
which wouldn't be catostrophic, she's got hubby and I've got the summer sales.

Will she still be the same Kate? which is a ridiculous notion i know, but, what has the last ten years done to her? or to me? I like to think (egotistically maybe) that I haven't changed much, however i dress lots and lots better than ago.
Is her hubby going to be cool? Will he try to reach out to me? or will he be happy just letting me be forever and ever the 'frenchified friend of kate'. I hate that. reducing people. because kate loves this guy, i would love for him and i to get along. but it'll more or less depend on where he wants it to go.

will i imagine the worst and will it get the better of me?
sigh

well, that's that i suppose. i've just been off daydreaming for the last five minutes about it, so i suppose i really have nothing more concrete to say.

here's to hoping old friends are still good friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home